What is Soiree?
This is our annual showcase or concert. It is a professionally produced showcase where students perform a dance item on stage before a live audience.
It is not mandatory at all, however, we highly encourage participation as it is a great way to connect to other students in the class and your teacher and our broader dance community.
Performing is another element of your dance education and as teachers we enjoy seeing the growth in all the students, regardless of level, when they work towards a the goal of performing. Read this blog to see what some students have previously said about their experience performing in previous recitals.
Participation in the Soiree performance is a privilege (and a responsibility) available only to Dance Workshop students.
Rehearsals for the dance items occur outside of the usual class timetable, so students should ensure they can commit to both the class and rehearsal schedule before considering signing up.
To ensure equitable commitment from everyone we have a few terms and conditions in place in order to help make the Soiree an enjoyable experience for everyone.
Classes continue as usual and are separate to the Soiree rehearsals. This is to ensure that class remains class and students not performing in the Soiree can continue to get the benefits of a properly structured class.
Students are required to continue their classes if they wish to participate in the Soiree. They cannot, and should not stop attending classes, attending only the rehearsals (even if they have paid for the classes).
Students can only do the soiree item of the teacher whose class they take. It is not enough that they are a “student of the studio”.
Students will be limited to a maximum of 4 items.
Rehearsals occur outside of the timetable. The teacher will discuss with participants when these rehearsals occur.
Teachers charge their own fees for rehearsals. This is paid directly to teacher for their time for these rehearsals. Your teacher will advise what this is, based on the number of, and duration of rehearsals.
Performing in a group is a team effort. In signing up, you commit to attend all the rehearsals including lighting tech and blocking rehearsals, finale rehearsal and dress rehearsals.
It costs a lot to put a show on, and a small studio like ours it is impossible without the financial commitment of the students to cover some of the ever-increasing costs of putting on a show. To participate in Soiree, students are required to commit to the following:
(See Things to do if you wish to participate in Soiree 2024 section below for all links for the following)
- Payment of the Soiree Insurance Levy. This is $85. This includes the additional insurance and music licencing costs involved in the production. This year it also includes the Soiree USB. This way all participants will receive a USB with a recording of the full production. Having a finite number of USB reproductions helps us keep the overall costs of the video production down.
- 8-week pre-payment class commitment of the item you wish to perform in. This 8-Class commitment pack is $160 for the 8-classes (this means the classes are discounted to $20 per class). You may only purchase this discounted class pass after the purchase of the Soiree Levy. This pass will only cover 8 classes during the “Soiree-commitment-period” which is Jan 29, 2024 to March 24, 2024. You will need to purchase one for each item you wish to participate in. Missed classes cannot be credited to your account or carried over after the Soiree-commitment period.
- For those students who do 3 or more classes per week, there is a “Soiree-unlimited” 8-week pack to ensure your usual dance class costs do not increase. This pack is $494 and entitles you to unlimited classes for 8-weeks ($61.75 per week). You can purchase this pack online using a payment plan of $247 initial deposit, followed by 2 payments of $123.5 14 days apart.
- Please remember that your teacher will also have additional rehearsal fees that you pay to them directly.
- Please note that there may also be additional costume costs. These will vary from group to group, so before committing please discuss with your teacher what these costs may look like. We are all conscious of costs and teachers do their best to keep costs down and costuming as affordable as possible.
- Please also be aware that all of the above costs are non-refundable if you change your mind or a no longer able to participate in Soiree 2024 for whatever reason.
Things to do if you wish to participate in Soiree 2024
Talk to your teacher about whether or not they are putting a piece together for the Soiree, and what the rehearsals and costume expenses entail.
All of the above must be complete by 29 January, 2024, remembering it is non-refundable if you change your mind or are no longer able to participate.
Important dates to note
Monday January 29, 2024
This is the cut-off date to register to participate in Soiree.
Saturday March 16, 4pm – 6pm
Finale Rehearsal at the studio and information meeting
Thursday March 21, 6pm-9pm
For lighting and tech Blocking (preferably tap and flamenco items) *
Friday March 22, 6pm-9pm
For lighting and tech Blocking ( preferably ballet and contemporary items) *
Saturday March 23, 9am – 8pm
Lighting and tech Blocking (all other styles) *
Sunday March 24, 930am
Full Dress Rehearsal, 2pm show.
* Subject to change